Abstract: The Art of Design | Paula Scher: Graphic Design



- What does it mean to be in a state of play?

“You have to be in a state of play to design. If you're not in a state of play, you can't make anything."  This explains why Paula would need to be in a certain mindset in order to compose and create her artwork—she wouldn't want to worry about the intricacies, she just wanted to create what came to mind without being intimidated of what comes out. I can definitely connect to this since I never really consider the dynamics and narrative of the drawing; instead, I just dive in and allow the thoughts that come to me flow onto the paper. Your mind will be more at rest and you won't lose your temper (like me) as easily if you try to be more open-minded and abstract in this setting. Trial and Error.

-  Where do you discover your best ideas?

The strongest ideas, in my opinion, tend to emerge when least expected. For instance, you could have a fascinating idea for a little scene in a project that is due while taking your regular stroll outside. Another example is when you are out with your friends and you finally put the parts of an art concept you've been wanting to do. Other times, though, I tend to burn out quickly and have absolutely no idea where to take my ideas—or even whether I have any at all. I get so overstimulated by the things I truly want to make that I am fixated on feeling burnt out rather than spending any time really coming up with ideas. This happens a lot. "You have to be in a state of play" Says Paula. Which I really resonate to. 

 - What do you like to create?

I enjoy making things that have some form of meaning to me or, more frequently, things that have no meaning at all. My goal has always been to develop featured films like a24. I haven't decided what I want to create yet, but I'm sure it will happen. I enjoy painting and both digital and darkroom photography. That is where I felt most comfortable doing my job and, as Paula puts it, "in a state of play." I had the impression that I could make anything seem heavenly in that moment. And really put my heart within the screen and impact it onto the audience. I felt super connected to photography. Hopefully, I'll feel more confident and at ease making moving pictures as I do with photography. I want to develop something significant because I am taking a lot of filmmaking classes this semester that focus on post production and pre production in relation to understanding the creative triangle. I also want to get immersed in multi-media production. I found sculpting and media design very intriguing as well. I made my last sculpture last semester in Experimental Sculpture course. I was very proud of the end result. I find it difficult to focus on just one activity since I enjoy taking risks and venturing into the unknown to see if I can thrive in it and accomplish something that i like.

Favorite piece:


Book of the Dead (Second Avenue) poster designed by Paula Scher for The Public Theater, 2000


I really like this design. I really like the symmetry in this graphic as well. I think this stands out compared to a lot of her other pieces. In order to produce a collection of graphic images that appealed to the streets and the urban language of graffiti, Scher gathered inspiration from the streets of New York City. You can tell by the ecstatic colorization, the bold titles and bold front portrait. This really drove the audience to a completely opposite direction than the previous creator for PUBLIC theatre. 


Comments

Popular Posts